So over it
The following post is by Numa and I as a response to Eve Ensler’s post Over It. There are some things you don’t get to be over, Eve Ensler. But if we’re going to play this game, here are some of ours.
We are over cis white feminists claiming to speak for the rest of us and then shutting us up when we try to fit a word in edgewise. We are over being told that we are splintering a (separatist) movement whenever we bring up things that go just beyond their immediate focus.
We are over feeling left out whenever the talk goes to rape culture, because our rape culture is never addressed, maybe because it would hold you accountable too.
We are over rape being framed as an act done only by men on women, or that it requires a penis to forcibly penetrate a vagina or an anus and all other acts of coercion on other body parts by other bodies don’t matter as much.
We are over cis white feminists using experiences of POC to prove their own humanity. We are over experiences of scores of people in Congo, in Somalia, or any place with poverty tourism becoming a footnote to white feminists’ tales of enlightenment.
We are over cis white feminists using stories from “war torn” areas to woo audiences without addressing or holding their own Governments responsible for the said war. We are over people making money by writing about the “horrifying” experiences they saw in the [third world nation], narrating stories that are not theirs to tell.
We are over countless (one-sided) dialogues with cis white feminists when they do want to talk about the difference in our rape cultures who simply retort to, “your men are irresponsible and patriarchal! We are just here to help! We can talk about murky consent issues between us some other time”.
We are over white cis women feminists essentialising the experiences of all women everywhere when it suits them but then having no trouble with using an “us” vs. “them” dichotomy against those who don’t agree with them.
We are over being told that we’re too angry and divisive when we direct criticism at the mainstream feminist movement but it’s okay for violent imagery and words to be used to threaten non-white cis women.
And what the fuck is “occupyrape” meant to mean anyway?! We are over people using the terminology of violence and colonisation to sound relevant and cool. How can you occupy an act of violence? How can you reclaim it? We don’t understand.
We are over the assumption that there is a “global paradigm of rape” but there is no recognition that this global paradigm, if there is something so all encompassing, is probably the result of political and socio-economic violation of the racial Other.
To be honest, we’re just over of this type of rallying cry for unity where it’s believed that self-reflexiveness will do harm more than it will do good. Apparently we can’t be critical of issues without also destroying our effectiveness.
We are over people simply drawing back saying “this is not my culture and therefore I will stay silent and complicit” without engaging with us at all.
We are over thousand Eve Enslers who spew shit like this over and over again and then a few others who’ll pretend this is the first time they’ve heard us speak up.
We are over seeing movements perpetuate the same acts of violence we’re meant to be addressing.
Yeah, I wasn’t feeling the “Over It” piece either. The fact that you can just dismiss it by saying you’re “over it” is screwy. Grrr.
no word of this a lie. Also, Eve Ensler annoys the ever living shit out of me.
286 Notes/ Hide
- beatricetsukiyomi likes this
- thewolfinhumansclothing likes this
- bringthetidalwave likes this
- regretrepressrebuild reblogged this from rachellephant
- rachellephant reblogged this from chronicallyannoyed
- chronicallyannoyed reblogged this from orbitingasupernova
- barbieisamyth reblogged this from ethiopienne
- heroin-e reblogged this from miswritten
- greenwildchild reblogged this from tumii
- alexshortandsweet likes this
- monolid-shift reblogged this from ethiopienne
- de1icate likes this
- jacqkao likes this
- kiwibird likes this
- dustoffvarnya likes this
- articlesofcleansingbreath reblogged this from stopthecyborgs
- nomadmanifesto likes this
- trenchantashell likes this
- sweetblaster likes this
- claudefelixfloor likes this
- shiftergoddess likes this
- oblonskys reblogged this from emotionalbaby
- planetkissed likes this
- emotionalbaby reblogged this from wholelottadicks
- pinatasmashing likes this
- precioustang likes this
- puggbutt reblogged this from wholelottadicks
- puggbutt likes this
- puppytube likes this
- garciansmith likes this
- madamethursday likes this
- littlemxswitch likes this
- limeaide likes this
- thebreastmilkdiaries reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- littleblackkittycat likes this
- cantbelieveididthis reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
- cantbelieveididthis likes this
- angryelves likes this
- captain-sonic reblogged this from rootsbooksmagic
- fuckyeahsexeducation reblogged this from wilde-is-on-mine
- harsyra likes this
- terminalcure likes this
- sewerclown likes this
- skeetshoot likes this